I do not love the cost of eating take out or at a restaurant.
I found this recipe via Pinterest, served it over some barley (delicious!) and it did a damn good job of filling a Chinese food craving.
4 chicken breasts (or one package of chicken breasts, I used thin-sliced but that is just personal preference)
2 eggs, beaten
1/3C oil (canola, peanut, olive, coconut...)
4 tbs ketchup
1/2C white distilled vinegar
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tsp garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Trim fat off chicken breasts, and cut into ~1" pieces.
- Sprinkle chicken with black pepper.
- Heat oil in a skillet.
- Dip chicken pieces into cornstarch, coating completely.
- Following cornstarch, dip chicken pieces into eggs.
- Cook chicken until browned.
- Place chicken into a baking dish (I used an 8x8 Pyrex).
- Whisk sugar, ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce, and garlic sauce until smooth.
- Pour sauce evenly over chicken, turning as necessary to make sure all sides are coated.
- Bake chicken for 15 minutes.
- Turn chicken over and then bake for 15 more minutes.