I was super excited for the cupcakes to be finished so that I could eat them.
To be honest, they were kind of eh right after being done.
BUT! Much to my surprise (and excitement!) after sitting over night, the flavors melded and the cupcakes were delicious the following morning.
So, do I recommend these cupcakes?
1) Yes, I wouldn't put anything on here I wouldn't recommend.
2) Not right away, I would let them sit at least 8 hours to let the flavors blend.
for the cupcakes
3C all-purpose flour
6 tbs cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 sticks (1C) salted butter, room temperature
2 eggs, room temperature
1C buttermilk, room temperature
3 tsp vanilla extract
for the filling
12oz can cherry cake and pastry filling*
for the glaze
1.5C powdered sugar
4 tbs Coke
for the icing
1.5C heavy cream, chilled
6 tbs powdered sugar
*I found "cake and pastry filling" more convenient than the "pie filling" the original recipe called for because there are no large chunks of cherries in the cake and pastry filling.
- for the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
- In a large mixing bowl (or stand mixer with paddle attachment), beat butter and sugar on medium-high until light and fluffy - about 2 minutes.
- Mix in eggs one at a time, beating well after each and scraping down the sides of the bowl if needed.
- In a small bowl, combine buttermilk, Coke, and vanilla. Make sure to let the foam calm down after you mix them together. Foam is not welcome here.
- Beginning with flour mixture, alternate adding flour mixture and Coke mixture in 4 parts beating until just incorporated.
- Fill each cupcake liner about 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- for the filling: Using a paring knife, cut a cone shape in the middle of each cupcake.
- Add a spoonful of cherry cake and pastry filling to each cupcake.
- for the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and Coke until smooth.
- Spread a small amount of glaze over each cupcake.
- for the icing
- Chill mixing bowl for 10-15 minutes.
- In a large bowl (or stand mixer with whisk attachment), whisk heavy cream on low speed for 2 minutes.
- Begin to add powdered sugar 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Once all of the powdered sugar is added, increase the speed to medium-high.
- Whisk for 5 minutes, until cream is holding stiff peaks.
- Pipe or spread icing onto cupcakes.
- for garnish: Top each cupcake with half of a maraschino cherry.
- Enjoy! (and for maximum enjoyment, let sit for 8 hours before eating)