3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 stick salted butter, cut into small pieces
1 mediumish yellow onion, finely diced (really, if you like onions add more -- if you don't, add less)
1 tsp dry rosemary
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook potatoes until just tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain.
- Let potatoes dry 10 minutes, then spread in an even layer in a baking dish (I used a 9x13 pyrex because I love pyrex - if you don't love it, use something different).
- Drizzle potatoes with oil, and dot with butter. Taste a potato for seasoning. Add more salt if necessary, and season with pepper.
- Roast potatoes until beginning to turn golden, 30 to 35 minutes. (I like things crispier, so I did 35).
- Distribute onion and rosemary evenly over potatoes. Reduce heat to 400 degrees, and roast until potatoes are golden and onions are tender, 25 to 30 minutes.