I made some modifications based on what I had in the house, and it was awesome.
A perfect summer dessert, I brought it to a 4th of July BBQ.
1½ cups sugar, divided
1 tsp baking powder
3 cups all-purpose flour
¼ tsp salt
2 sticks (½ lb) cold salted butter, cut into pieces
1 large egg
4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
4 tsp cornstarch
2 tbs lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Grease a 13×9 inch pan; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup of the sugar, the baking powder and flour. Mix in the salt, stir together with a fork. Cut in the butter and egg with a pastry blender (or two knives if you don’t have one) until the largest chunks are about pea-sized. The mixture should be crumbly without much loose flour.
- Spread about half of the dough mixture in an even layer over the bottom of the prepared pan and press down firmly to form the bottom crust.
- In another bowl, stir together the remaining sugar, cornstarch and lime juice.
- Gently mix in the strawberries with a rubber spatula until combined.
- Spread the berry mixture evenly over the bottom crust. Crumble the remaining dough over the top of the berries.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until the top is slightly golden brown.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares and serving.