I was a little disappointed when I saw it used a box cake mix, and also a little afraid of peanut butter marshmallow frosting on Cap'n Crunch, so I altered my Milk & Cookies Cupcake recipe to fit my cereal & milk need.
yield: 24 cupcakes
4 eggs, room temperature
2C all-purpose flour
1C 2% milk
3/4C vegetable oil
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
4C Cap'n Crunch Cereal
3 sticks (1.5C) salted butter, room temperature
3.5C powdered sugar
7oz sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
Cap'n Crunch Cereal
- for cupcakes: Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line muffin pan with cupcake liners, or grease pan if not using cupcake liners.
- Beat together eggs and sugar in large bowl (or stand mixer with paddle attachment) on low for 2 minutes.
- Alternate adding flour and milk, on low speed, until combined.
- Add oil, baking powder, and vanilla. Beat on low for 1 minute.
- Add 2 cups of Cap'n Crunch Cereal to a freezer bag.
- Using a hard object (I use a metal measuring cup), crush cereal very finely.
- Add crushed cereal to the batter, mixing until combined.
- Fold remaining 2 cups of uncrushed cereal into the batter.
- Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 24-26 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely on wire rack.
- for frosting: In a large bowl (or stand mixer with paddle attachment), beat butter on medium-high speed for 2 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar, alternating with condensed milk, on low speed.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Beat on medium-high speed for 5 minutes.
- Pipe (or spread) onto completely cooled cupcakes.
- for garnish: Place ~3 pieces of Cap'n Crunch cereal on each cupcake.