4 large slices sourdough bread
3/4C milk, warmed
1 large egg
3 tbs light brown sugar
2 tbs butter, melted
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Place the slices of bread on a wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake 16 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking, until almost dry throughout.
- Remove and let cool 5 minutes.
- Whisk milk, egg yolks, sugar, melted butter, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt in a large shallow bowl.
- Soak bread in milk mixture until saturated but not falling apart, about 20 seconds each side.
- Using a slotted spatula pick up one slice at a time allowing excess milk mixture to drip off.
- Spray large pan with cooking spray or melt some butter on it.
- Heat pan over medium heat.
- Use a slotted spatula to transfer slices of bread to the pan.
- Cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Flip and continue to cook until the second side is golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes longer.
- Serve warm.