I changed things around slightly based on what I had in the house (and because with a bacon loving husband, 1 slice would not be enough) and it turned out great!
2 slices maple bacon, chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 tbs flour
2C chicken stock
2C vegetable stock
10oz potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
1 tsp sea salt
4 ears sweet corn
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2C heavy cream
- In a medium pot over medium-high heat, cook bacon until fat renders.
- Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft - about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle in flour and cook, stirring, 3 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and whisk until smooth.
- Add vegetable stock, water, salt, and potatoes.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, use a sharp knife to cut kernels from 3 of the cobs of corn into a bowl.
- In the same bowl, grate the kernels off of the remaining cob using a large-holed grater.
- Add corn kernels and grated corn to the soup.
- Stir in thyme and cream.
- Cook 10 minutes, until corn is tender and soup is heated through.