This recipe makes muffins out of beets, I made some additions and they turned out pretty well.
Do they taste like a sugar packed, dessert like muffin? No.
Are they sweet and delicious with a hint of earthy flavor? Yes.
yield: 18 muffins
1.5C all-purpose flour
1/2C old fashioned oats
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp sea salt
3/4C sour cream
4 tbs butter, melted
1 egg, room temperature
2 small beets, shredded (or Vitamixed)
1 apple, shredded (or Vitamixed)
1/2C sliced almonds
1/2C semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line or grease muffin tin.
- In a large bowl (or stand mixer bowl), combine sour cream, melted butter, and egg.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to sour cream mixture, until well combined.
- Fold in beets, chocolate chips, and almonds.
- Beating until just mixed.
- Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full (or more full if you want bigger muffins).
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool slightly before removing from muffin tin.