3C all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 brown sugar
1/2C vegetable oil
1/2C apple sauce
1.5 tsp vanilla
3 eggs, room temperature
3C apples, finely chopped (about 3 medium apples)
for caramel buttercream
1/2C butter, room temperature
1C brown sugar
1/3C heavy cream
3.5C powdered sugar
- for cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line muffin pan with cupcake liners (or grease pan if not using cupcake liners).
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl (or stand mixer) combine sugar, brown sugar, vegetable oil, apple sauce, and vanilla.
- Add eggs to wet mixture one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Slowly add flour mixture to wet mixture, beating until well combined.
- Fold in chopped apples.
- Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely.
- for caramel buttercream: In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Stir in brown sugar and heavy cream.
- Stir over medium heat, about 2 minutes, until sugar is dissolved.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl or stand mixer.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, mixing until incorporated.
- Pipe (or spread) buttercream on cooled cupcakes.