While it isn't the super creamy risotto of restaurant dreams, it is a tasty and healthier alternative.
2 tbs olive oil
1 medium eggplant, peeled and chopped into 1/2" cubes
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1C dry quinoa, rinsed and drained
1.5C vegetable stock
3 tbs butter
1 yellow onion, diced
1/2C dry white wine (I used Sauvignon Blanc)
1lb tomatoes, diced
1/4C grated parmesan cheese
1/2C thinly sliced basil
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Saute eggplant, stirring occasionally, until browned all over.
- Add garlic, salt, and pepper and saute for 1 minute.
- Scoop eggplant mixture into a bowl and set aside.
- In a small pot, bring quinoa and vegetable stock to a boil.
- Simmer until quinoa is tender and chewy, about 12-15 minutes.
- In the same pan you cooked the eggplant, melt 2 tbs butter over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add wine and tomatoes, simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in cooked quinoa.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in remaining tablespoon of butter.
- Stir in parmesan cheese and basil.