While not exactly what you get at a Chinese restaurant, it is pretty close!
yield: 6 servings
1lb (or one package that is about 1lb) chicken breasts
½ onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
½C soy sauce
4 tbs tomato paste
3 tsp sesame oil
3 tsp cornstarch
1 small head of broccoli, cut into small florets
1 tbs toasted sesame seeds
prepared brown rice
- Place chicken breasts in the bowl of a crock pot.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together onion, garlic, honey, soy sauce, tomato puree, and 2 tsp sesame oil.
- Pour mixture over chicken.
- Cook on low for at least 4 hours, up to 6 hours.
- About 20 minutes before you want to serve, combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl to create a slurry.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker.
- Add the slurry to the remaining sauce in the slow cooker.
- Turn the crock pot to high, allowing the sauce to thicken.
- Shred the chicken with two forks.
- Add the shredded chicken back into the crock pot, stirring together.
- Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds over the chicken.
- Cook on high, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes.
- In a skillet, heat 1 tsp of sesame oil over medium-high heat.
- Stir fry the broccoli pieces, until they turn a bright green color but not soft.
- Lay broccoli over rice and top with a scoop of the chicken/sauce mixture.