1.5C all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1C brown sugar
1/2C (1 stick) butter, room temperature
2 eggs, room temperature
2 tbs water
1/4C heavy cream
1 tsp sea salt
1C (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
2.5C powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Line muffin tin with cupcake liners (or grease pan if not using liners).
- for cupcakes: In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, beat brown sugar and butter at medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla, beating until well combined.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add half of the flour mixture.
- Add milk, mixing until well combined.
- Slowly add remaining flour mixture, mixing until just combined.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely.
- for frosting: Combine sugar and water in a large heavy saucepan.
- Heat over high heat, without stirring, until medium amber in color.
- Remove from heat.
- Slowly stir in heavy cream and sea salt.
- Let stand for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter and caramel mixture on medium-high speed until well combined.
- On low speed, slowly add powdered sugar until well combined.
- Beat on medium-high speed for 5 minutes.
- Pipe or spread frosting onto cooled cupcakes.
- Top with a garnish (I used edible glitter) if desired.