This weekend, for a fundraising event and for her birthday, I took on the challenge.
I opted for this recipe, modified only slightly, and it is 100% s'mores in cupcake form.
yield: 28 cupcakes
for graham cracker crust
1.5C graham cracker crumbs
3/4C (1.5 sticks), melted
1/2C cocoa powder
1/2C hot water
2.25C all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1C (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
1 2/3C sugar
3 eggs, room temperature
1 tbs vanilla extract
3/4C sour cream
4 egg whites, room temperature
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 graham cracker, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line muffin tins with cupcake liners (or grease pan if not using liners).
- for graham cracker crust: In a small bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs and melted butter.
- Mix well with a fork.
- Drop 1 tablespoon of graham cracker mixture in the bottom of each cupcake liner, pressing down to cover the entire bottom.
- Bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- for cupcakes: In a small bowl, whisk cocoa powder and hot water until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar on medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add vanilla and cocoa mixture, mixing until smooth.
- With mixer on low speed, slowly add half of flour mixture.
- Add sour cream, mixing until well combined.
- Slowly add the rest of the flour mixture, mixing until just incorporated.
- Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 full.
- Bake 18-20 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for about 5 minutes.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely.
- for frosting: Combine egg whites, sugar, and cream of tarter in a heat-proof bowl.
- Set bowl over a pan of simmering water.
- Heat mixture, whisking frequently, until it reaches 160°F.
- Transfer the mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer with whisk attachment.
- Whisk starting a low speed and gradually increase to medium-high speed until stiff glossy peaks form.
- Mix in vanilla until well combined.
- Pipe (or spread) frosting onto cooled cupcakes.
- Brown frosting with a kitchen torch (or a lighter if you don't have a torch).
- for garnish: Sprinkle crushed graham crackers on top of cupcakes.