yield: one 9.5" pie
2.5C all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2C vegetable oil
1 tsp maple syrup
2 egg yolks
1/3C cold water
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp sea salt
5 large apples, cored, and thinly sliced (peeled if your heart desires)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9.5" pie plate.
- for crust: In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Add oil, mixing with a fork until crumbs form.
- In a small bowl, whisk maple syrup and egg yolks until smooth.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture, mixing with a fork until crumbly.
- Add water until the mixture forms a ball of dough.
- Divide dough in half and roll out half of dough.
- Place in the bottom of pie plate.
- Set aside other half of dough.
- Place sliced apples into a medium bowl.
- Toss apples with lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Place apple mixture into the pie crust.
- Roll out remaining crust dough.
- Place dough over apple filling, pinching edges to seal.
- Make a slit in the middle of the crust.
- Bake 45 minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.