This year, at Wegman's annual Hatch Chile Fest I bought 5 lbs of Hatch chiles to roast, peel, and figure out what to do with.
With the weather getting colder, this spicy chili seemed like a perfect football watching recipe.
I am not a huge spicy person so I only tasted a few bites (it is HOT HOT HOT), but my husband and friends enjoyed it.
4 tbs vegetable oil
3 lbs chicken
9 oz roasted, peeled Hatch chiles, diced
7 oz jalapeno peppers (about 5 peppers), diced
1 yellow onion, diced
1 tomato, pureed
1 tsp onion powder
1 tbs garlic salt
1 tsp black pepper
- Heat oil in a large Dutch (or French, I used my LeCreuset) oven over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken, and cook until no longer pink inside.
- After chicken is cooked, shred the chicken using two forks.
- Add chiles, jalapenos, onion, tomato, and water.
- Stir in onion powder, garlic salt, and black pepper.
- Lower heat to medium and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove cover and cook for 10 minutes more.