Monday, September 16, 2013

Hatch Chicken Chili

A friend of mine is from New Mexico and introduced me to the world of Hatch chiles.
This year, at Wegman's annual Hatch Chile Fest I bought 5 lbs of Hatch chiles to roast, peel, and figure out what to do with.
With the weather getting colder, this spicy chili seemed like a perfect football watching recipe.
I am not a huge spicy person so I only tasted a few bites (it is HOT HOT HOT), but my husband and friends enjoyed it.
yield: 8 servings

ingredients
4 tbs vegetable oil
3 lbs chicken
9 oz roasted, peeled Hatch chiles,  diced
7 oz jalapeno peppers (about 5 peppers), diced
1 yellow onion, diced
1 tomato, pureed
7C water
1 tsp onion powder
1 tbs garlic salt
1 tsp black pepper

directions
  1. Heat oil in a large Dutch (or French, I used my LeCreuset) oven over medium-high heat.
  2. Add chicken, and cook until no longer pink inside.
  3. After chicken is cooked, shred the chicken using two forks.
  4. Add chiles, jalapenos, onion, tomato, and water.
  5. Stir in onion powder, garlic salt, and black pepper.
  6. Lower heat to medium and bring to a simmer.
  7. Cover and cook for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  8. Remove cover and cook for 10 minutes more.
  9. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment