Tuesday, August 23, 2011

3rd Place Chili

This Chili won me 3rd place in the Chili Cookoff at work last summer.
I don't eat chili, I don't like beef and I don't like beans.
I just like to cook and wanted to enter the contest.
It got good reviews from my coworkers, boyf, and roommate.

Being as I didn't know much about chili, I found a bunch of recipes and mashed them together and added more stuff until it smelled good.

Note to the wise, poblano peppers are very hot - don't rub your face after you cut them until you wash your hands.

I cooked this chili in a crockpot because we didn't have a stove for warmup at work. I'm sure that it would be fine for quicker cooking on a stove top!

ingredients
2 lbs ground beef
1 lb bulk Italian sausage
45 oz chili beans, drained
15 oz chili beans in spicy sauce
46 oz diced tomatoes with juice
6 oz tomato paste
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 poblano peppers, chopped
1/4C bacon bits
4 cubes beef bouillon
1 bottle Yuengling
1/4C chili powder
1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbs dried oregano
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp tabasco sauce
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp sugar

directions
  1. Brown meat in pan and drain grease.
  2. Combine all ingredients in a crockpot, stirring occasionally.
  3. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
  4. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment