Mine became more of a pie because I did not have a tart pan, but it worked just fine in the end!
¼C cocoa powder
1½C all-purpose flour
10 tbs butter, chilled and cubed
½C powdered sugar
3 egg yolks
1 tbs ice water
sea salt flakes, for sprinkling
for salted caramel
1C heavy cream
3.5 tbs butter
1½ C sugar
½ C water
1 tsp sea salt flakes
dark chocolate ganache
⅔ C dark chocolate chips
½ C heavy cream
- for tart: Place cocoa, flour, butter, and powdered sugar in bowl of a stand mixer, mixing on low speed until mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- On low speed, add egg yolk and ice water until the dough comes together.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Bring together to form a ball.
- Flatten dough into a disc, wrapping in plastic wrap and refrigerating for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll the pastry out between 2 sheets of parchment paper until about 3mm thick.
- Line a lightly greased 9.5" round loose-bottomed tart tin with the pastry.
- Trim the edges and prick the base with a fork.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Line pastry with parchment paper, fill with pie weights, and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove paper and weights.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- for salted caramel: Place cream and butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place sugar and water in a medium saucepan over low heat and cook, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved.
- Increase heat to high.
- Bring sugar to a boil and cook for 10-12 minutes, without stirring, until mixture is a deep caramel color.
- Remove from the heat and working quickly, add salt and cream mixture, whisking to combine.
- Return to the heat and cook for another 2 minutes, until thickened slightly.
- Pour salted caramel into the tart shell.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours, or until set.
- for dark chocolate ganache: Place chocolate and cream in a small saucepan over low heat and cook, stirring, until melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Allow to stand for 10 minutes, until thickened slightly.
- Pour chocolate mixture over the caramel.
- Sprinkle sea salt flake over chocolate ganache.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours, until set.
- Bring to room temperature to serve.