Thursday, May 1, 2014

Copycat Famous Dave's Drunkin Apples

I found this recipe on page 68 of an old issue of People magazine (I don't know which issue because I had torn the recipe out and stashed it away for another time). I made them for Easter and boy were they delicious (and went super fast). The recipe called for amaretto, but I didn't have any so I used Grand Marnier...other than that I followed it exactly as written.

yield: 6-8 servings

ingredients
3tbs butter
½C sugar
½tsp ground cinnamon
½tsp ground nutmeg
3tbs honey
3tbs Grand Marnier
1tsp lemon juice
3tbs frozen orange juice concentrate
⅓C cold water
1tbs cornstarch
2½ lbs Granny Smith apples, peeled & diced 

directions
  1. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
  2. Stir in sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, honey, Grand Marnier, and lemon juice.
  3. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally.
  4. Cook 1 minute.
  5. Combine orange juice concentrate and water in a small bowl.
  6. Add cornstarch, whisking until smooth.
  7. Add orange juice mixture into hot sugar mixture.
  8. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
  9. Stir apple slices into sugar mixture.
  10. Cover and cooke 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  11. Uncover and simmer 5 minutes, or until apples are tender.
  12. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment