I love goat cheese, so when I skimmed through my recipe stack I knew I had to give it a go. It was delicious and super super filling.
1tbs olive oil
8 small (or 4 larger) beets, diced
2tbs balsamic vinegar
3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
2/3C edamame beans (fresh or frozen)
1 bunch of fresh mint, finely shredded
1/2C toasted hazelnuts, lightly crushed
7oz goat cheese, crumbled
1 small handful of basil leaves
2tbs honey mustard
zest and juice of 1 lemon
2tbs olive oil
⅛tsp black pepper
- for salad: Preheat a skillet with olive oil.
- Put the beets into the pan, and cook on high heat for 6 minutes until the beets are charred on the edges.
- Add balsamic vinegar, thyme leaves, and sugar.
- Reduce the heat, and let beets cook for 3-5 more minutes.
- for dressing: Remove the beets from the pan, reduce the heat to the lowest setting, and add the ingredients for the dressing to the pan drippings.
- Mix well.
- Remove from heat.
- If the edamame beans are frozen, but them in a heatproof bowl, pour boiling water over them to thaw, then drain.
- Put beans into a large bowl.
- Add mint and hazelnuts.
- Drizzle with half of the dressing from the pan.
- Add beets to a large platter or bowl.
- Scatter goat cheese and mint bean mixture over the beets.
- Drizzle with the remaining dressing.
- Sprinkle basil leaves over the salad.