I changed some ingredients around based on what I had / trying to be healthier and cheaper.
This made 32 cupcakes. I also had to adjust the cooking time, but that could be my finicky oven.
for the cupcakes
2 sticks butter, softened
3 eggs, room temperature
2 egg whites, room temperature
3 1/3C all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1C plain greek yogurt
1/3C skim milk
1 tbsp vanilla
1.5C frozen blueberries (they hold up better in batter)
1 stick butter, softened
1 8oz package of cream cheese, softened
1/3C maple syrup (less if you're not using the pure, real thing...otherwise it will be REALLY sweet)
5.5C powdered sugar
3 fresh blueberries per cupcake
- Preheat the oven to 360 degrees.
- Line pans with cupcake liners (or spray the pans if you don't want to use liners).
- In large bowl (I used my KitchenAid) beat butter and sugar until fluffy.
- On low speed, add eggs and egg whites one at a time until well combined.
- Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to the butter mixture in thirds, alternating with the wet (greek yogurt, vanilla, coconut water) until fully combined.
- Fold in frozen blueberries.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
- Bake for ~28 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. (The recipe recommended 18 minutes but mine were still batter at that point)
- In large bowl (I used my KitchenAid), beat butter and cream cheese until fluffy.
- Add maple syrup and powdered sugar little by little (unless you want a powdered sugar cloud then add it all at once!).
- If the frosting is too thick, add a little bit of milk until the texture is more to your liking.
- Pipe buttercream onto cooled cupcakes.
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top of buttercream.
- Top wtih 3 blueberries.