The cupcakes are light and airy, the flavor is subtle, and everything just works together.
I was hoping for a BAM in your face Cherry Limeade flavor, but I think that would have been too sweet to enjoy - this cupcake is awesome!
3C cake flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1C butter, room temperature
1/2C + 2 tbs frozen limeade concentrate
3 eggs, room temperature
for lime syrup:
3/4C frozen limeade concentrate
1/2C powdered sugar
3 3/4C powdered sugar
1/2C butter, room temperature
5 tbs maraschino cherry juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line muffin pan(s) with cupcake liners (or grease if you're not using cupcake liners).
- For cupcakes: In a medium bowl, combine cake flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl (I used my KitchenAid), cream butter on high speed until smooth (about 2 minutes).
- Add sugar and beat on medium-high speed until creamed, about 4 minutes.
- Add in limeade concentrate and mix to incorporate.
- Add in eggs, one at a time, until combined; scraping down the bowl between additions.
- Add in flour mixture, alternating with milk; beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Mix ingredients until just incorporated.
- Divide the batter evenly between the cupcake liners, filling cups a little over half way.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely.
- For lime syrup: Whisk together the limeade concentrate and powdered sugar in a small bowl, until smooth.
- Poke several holes in the top of each cupcake with a skewer.
- Pour lime syrup over the cupcakes, allowing it to soak in.
- For frosting: Combine powdered sugar, butter, and maraschino cherry juice in a large bowl (or bowl of a stand mixer).
- Mix on low speed until sugar is incorporated, then increase to medium-high speed and beat until smooth (about 5 minutes).
- Pipe (or spread) frosting onto cooled cupcakes.
- For decorating: Place one maraschino cherry on top of each frosted cupcake.