Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Crock Pot Wine & Tomato Braised Chicken

I found this recipe on Pinterest, and I knew I had to give it a go -- wine, chicken & the ease of using the crock pot. All big pluses in my book. I did some modification based on what I had in my house, and it turned out great....in the words of my fiance, "definitely a do again."
yield: 10 servings

ingredients
3oz salami (I used about 1/3 of the stick of Wegman's Sweet Sopressata Salame), finely diced
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp black pepper
1 bay leaf
1C pinot noir
28oz can kitchen cut tomatoes, with juice
1 tsp salt
~4lbs chicken breasts

directions
  1.  Trim fat off of chicken breasts and cut each breast into 3 or 4 pieces.
  2. Place chicken breasts into crock pot.
  3. Cook salami in a large skillet over medium-low heat, 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally so the salami does not burn.
  4. Sprinkle salami over chicken in crock pot, keeping as much of the grease in the skillet as possible.
  5. Add onion to the skillet over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
  6. Add garlic, thyme, fennel seeds, pepper, and bay leaf. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
  7. Add wine, cook for 6 minutes over medium-low heat. Stirring occasionally.
  8. Add tomatoes (with juice) and salt, stir occasionally while cooking for 5 minutes.
  9. Pour tomato mixture over the chicken in crock pot.
  10. Cover and cook until chicken is tender, about 2.5-3 hours on high or 5.5-6 hours on low.
  11. Remove the bay leaf.
  12. Serve over your choice of pasta or rice (I chose whole wheat egg noodles).
  13. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment