3oz salami (I used about 1/3 of the stick of Wegman's Sweet Sopressata Salame), finely diced
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp black pepper
1 bay leaf
1C pinot noir
28oz can kitchen cut tomatoes, with juice
1 tsp salt
~4lbs chicken breasts
- Trim fat off of chicken breasts and cut each breast into 3 or 4 pieces.
- Place chicken breasts into crock pot.
- Cook salami in a large skillet over medium-low heat, 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally so the salami does not burn.
- Sprinkle salami over chicken in crock pot, keeping as much of the grease in the skillet as possible.
- Add onion to the skillet over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, thyme, fennel seeds, pepper, and bay leaf. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add wine, cook for 6 minutes over medium-low heat. Stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes (with juice) and salt, stir occasionally while cooking for 5 minutes.
- Pour tomato mixture over the chicken in crock pot.
- Cover and cook until chicken is tender, about 2.5-3 hours on high or 5.5-6 hours on low.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Serve over your choice of pasta or rice (I chose whole wheat egg noodles).