I didn't have almonds on hand, but I had a Costco sized bag of hazelnuts so I gave it a go.
While I liked the hazelnuts, they were a little chewier than almonds (oil content of the nut maybe?). They were still good, but I think almonds would be better.
1½C brown sugar
3 tbs cinnamon
⅛ tsp sea salt
1 egg white
2 tsp vanilla
- Mix sugars, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
- In another large bowl, whisk egg white and vanilla until frothy.
- Add hazelnuts to egg mixture and coat thoroughly.
- Add cinnamon sugar mixture to hazelnuts, stirring to coat thoroughly.
- Prepare crock pot by inserting a crock pot liner (best invention ever!) or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add hazelnut mixture to the crock pot.
- Cook on low for 3 hours, stirring regularly (about every 30-45 minutes).
- With 1 hour left to go, add water and stir well.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread hazelnuts on to the sheet to cool, separating the hazelnuts as best as you can.
- Let cool completely.