Saturday, November 16, 2013

Crock Pot Cinnamon Hazelnuts

I love the cinnamon roasted nuts at fairs and festivals, so when I needed some snack options for a girls night I opted for a Pinterested version.
I didn't have almonds on hand, but I had a Costco sized bag of hazelnuts so I gave it a go.
While I liked the hazelnuts, they were a little chewier than almonds (oil content of the nut maybe?). They were still good, but I think almonds would be better.
yield: 3C cinnamon hazelnuts

ingredients
1½C sugar
1½C brown sugar
3 tbs cinnamon
⅛ tsp sea salt
1 egg white
2 tsp vanilla
3C hazelnuts
¼C water

directions
  1. Mix sugars, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
  2. In another large bowl, whisk egg white and vanilla until frothy.
  3. Add hazelnuts to egg mixture and coat thoroughly.
  4. Add cinnamon sugar mixture to hazelnuts, stirring to coat thoroughly.
  5. Prepare crock pot by inserting a crock pot liner (best invention ever!) or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
  6. Add hazelnut mixture to the crock pot.
  7. Cook on low for 3 hours, stirring regularly (about every 30-45 minutes).
  8. With 1 hour left to go, add water and stir well.
  9. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  10. Spread hazelnuts on to the sheet to cool, separating the hazelnuts as best as you can.
  11. Let cool completely.
  12. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment