When choosing what pies I was making for a birthday party, I decided that for a guy that likes both chocolate and bourbon I couldn't go wrong with a chocolate bourbon pie.
My husband's feelings on this were "ooooh rich chocolate. and then ooooo bourbon". Take that as you will.
yield: one 9" pie
1 refrigerated pie crust
2oz semisweet chocolate chips
1C (2 sticks) salted butter, cold
½C unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½C sugar
3 tbs Lyle's golden syrup
3 tbs sour cream
4 eggs, room temperature
1 egg yolk, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Bake pie crust according to package directions. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- In a heatproof bowl (or double boiler), melt chocolate and butter.
- Remove from heat, add cocoa and whisk until blended.
- Add sugar, syrup, and sour cream; whisk until blended.
- Whisk in eggs, egg yolk, bourbon, and vanilla until just combined.
- Pour into pie crust.
- Place pie shield (or aluminum foil) over the crust and edges of the pan.
- Bake for 40-42 minutes, until the edges are slightly puffed and the center of the filling jiggles slightly when the pan is gently shaken.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cover until ready to serve.