Below is the result of multiple batches of tweaking (and reduction of heat, because my last batch proved too spicy).
1/3C extra virgin olive oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 yellow onion
2/3C white vinegar
28oz crushed tomatoes
28oz diced tomatoes, juice drained
28oz whole peeled tomatoes
28oz stewed tomatoes
2 tsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
3 tsp dry basil
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
3 tsp dry oregano
- Run the whole peeled tomatoes & stewed tomatoes for a quick blip through the blender / magic bullet / food processor. (I like chunky sauce and a quick second or two through there cuts up most of the big pieces)
- In large sauce pan, heat EVOO.
- Saute onion and garlic in EVOO until tender.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat over medium heat for at least 30 minutes. (When I make sauce, I generally put all the ingredients in the pot then throw in the meatballs and let it simmer for a few hours...as long as you periodically stir and make sure nothing is sticking/burning to the edges then you can't really overcook this).