Sunday, October 9, 2011

Spaghetti Sauce

I have been helping my dad make spaghetti sauce since I was little. Now that I'm older with my own kitchen and my own tastes, I have been tweaking things for my taste.
Below is the result of multiple batches of tweaking (and reduction of heat, because my last batch proved too spicy).

ingredients
1/3C extra virgin olive oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 yellow onion
2/3C white vinegar
28oz crushed tomatoes
28oz diced tomatoes, juice drained
28oz whole peeled tomatoes
28oz stewed tomatoes
2 tsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
3 tsp dry basil
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
3 tsp dry oregano

directions
  1. Run the whole peeled tomatoes & stewed tomatoes for a quick blip through the blender / magic bullet / food processor. (I like chunky sauce and a quick second or two through there cuts up most of the big pieces)
  2. In large sauce pan, heat EVOO.
  3. Saute onion and garlic in EVOO until tender.
  4. Add the rest of the ingredients.
  5. Heat over medium heat for at least 30 minutes. (When I make sauce, I generally put all the ingredients in the pot then throw in the meatballs and let it simmer for a few hours...as long as you periodically stir and make sure nothing is sticking/burning to the edges then you can't really overcook this).
  6. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment