Sunday, February 17, 2013

Paleo Sausage & Spinach Soup

I found this recipe while on my eating better crusade.
I have found some conflicting arguments about whether or not sausage is paleo friendly, but I went along with it and used plain chicken sausage.
Like usual, I made substitutions based on what I had in my house.
The way I prepared the soup made 8 hearty servings.

ingredients
1 medium sweet onion, diced
1/2 medium white onion, diced
1 hatch chile, roasted with skin removed, diced
1 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2.5 lbs chicken sausage, removed from casing
8 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp Italian seasoning
2C chicken broth
4C chicken stock
2C water
3C fresh baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped
1.5C unsweetened almond milk
1/4C fresh chopped basil

directions
  1. In a large skillet, cook sausage until brown, using a wooden spoon to break into small pieces.
  2. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
  3. Add onion and hatch chile, season with salt and pepper, cook until soft about 10 minutes.
  4. Add garlic and Italian seasoning, cook for 5 minutes.
  5. Add broth, stock, and water to pot.
  6. Add sausage once it is done cooking.
  7. Allow to come to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
  8. Add spinach, basil, and almond milk to the pot and simmer for 5 minutes.
  9. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment