In all seriousness, I think this may be my favorite cupcake EVER. And it even tastes like a churro to boot!
1.5C all-purpose flour
1.5C cake flour
1 tbs baking powder
1 tbs ground cinnamon
1C (2 sticks) salted butter, room temperature
1 3/4C sugar
4 eggs, room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
1.25C 2% milk
for cinnamon sugar topping
4 tbs butter, melted
2 tsp ground cinnamon
for cinnamon cream cheese frosting
1/2C (1 stick) butter, softened
8oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp ground cinnamon
5C powdered sugar
1 tbs heavy cream
- for cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line muffin tin with cupcake liners (or grease cups if not using liners).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl (or stand mixer), cream butter and sugar on medium-high speed until fluffy - about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated.
- Add vanilla, beat until incorporated.
- Reduce speed to low.
- Add flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with milk.
- Beat for 2 minutes, until well incorporated.
- Fill each cupcake liner ~2/3 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes completely cool.
- for cinnamon sugar topping: Melt butter in a small bowl.
- In another bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon.
- Brush tops of cupcakes with melted butter.
- Dip the top of the buttered cupcakes into the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- for the cinnamon cream cheese frosting: In a medium bowl (or stand mixer), beat butter and cream cheese for 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Mix in vanilla, heavy cream, and cinnamon.
- Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until all is incorporated.
- Beat on medium-high speed for 4 minutes.
- Pipe (or spread) onto cupcakes.