yield: 8 servings
2lbs Italian sausage (hot or sweet or both!)
2 yellow onions, diced
1 green bell pepper, cut into 2" pieces
1 red bell pepper, cut into 2" pieces
1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 2" pieces
2 bay leaves
4 cloves garlic, minced
14oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
6oz can tomato paste
1 tbs dried parsley
½ tsp dried oregano
½ dried basil
½ tsp salt
⅛ tsp white pepper
- Brown sausage in a heavy skills over medium heat (they don't have to be totally cooked through).
- Layer half the onions on the bottom of a large crockpot.
- Add half the peppers on top of the onions.
- Add the sausage to the crockpot.
- Top sausage with the remaining onions and peppers, bay leaves, and garlic.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, and wine.
- Pour mixture into crockpot.
- Add parsley, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper to the crockpot.
- Stir crockpot contents well.
- Cover crock pot and cook on low for at least 6 hours (we had it going on low for 6 hours and then on warm for another 4 and it was just as delicious).