for cream cheese ribbon
8oz cream cheese, room temperature
1 egg, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
2 ¼C all-purpose flour
1 ½ tsp baking soda
⅛ tsp salt
2 eggs, room temperature
1 tbs distilled white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
1 oz bottle of red food coloring
12 tbs butter, room temperature
1 ½C sugar
4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
4 tbs butter, room temperature
2C powdered sugar
½ tsp vanilla
3 tbs milk
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- for cream cheese ribbon: In a small bowl, beat all ingredients until well incorporated; set aside.
- for cake: Grease and flour a bundt pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, vinegar, and vanilla; set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix cocoa powder with red food coloring; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy.
- On low speed, alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture, mixing thoroughly after each addition until well combined.
- Add cocoa mixture on low speed and beat thoroughly.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared bundt pan.
- Using a large spoon or spatula, drop cream cheese mixture around the bundt pan, trying to keep it away from the sides.
- Pour the remaining cake batter over the top.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool bundt cake in pan on cooling rack for 30 minutes.
- Invert onto a serving tray or plate.
- Let cool completely.
- for icing: In bowl of a stand mixer, beat cream cheese and butter on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar one cup at a time on low speed, beating after each addition.
- Add vanilla and milk.
- Beat on medium-high speed for 5 minutes.
- Pour over cooled cake (and garnish with sprinkles or decorations if you want!).