1 tbs baking powder
½ tsp salt
1C butter, room temperature
4 eggs, room temperature
3 limes, zested & juiced
½ tsp vanilla
2 tbs + 1/4C tequila
1 ½C diced strawberries
4 egg whites
1 ½C sugar
⅛ tsp salt
1 ½C butter, room temperature
4 tbs lime juice
3 tbs tequila
- for cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 325° and line 2 muffin tins with cupcake liners or grease pan (if not using cupcake liners).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar at medium-high speed for 4 minutes.
- Combine buttermilk, lime zest and juice, vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of tequila in a medium bowl.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the dry and wet ingredients in 2-3 batches, starting and ending with the flour.
- Mix until just incorporated.
- Fill cupcake liners ⅔ full.
- Bake for 18-24 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Add the remaining tequila to a small bowl.
- Dunk tops of cupcakes in tequila while still warm.
- Let cool completely.
- for frosting: Puree the strawberries in a food processor and set aside.
- Combine the egg whites, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer set over a small saucepan of simmering water.
- Whisk constantly by hand until the sugar has dissolved. (Test by rubbing the mixture between your fingers; you shouldn't feel any grittiness).
- Attach the bowl to the stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.
- Begin mixing on low speed and gradually increase to high, whipping until stiff peaks form.
- Continue mixing until the mixture is completely cool (test by feeling the bottom of the bowl) and light, fluffy, and glossy. This should take ~10 minutes.
- Replace the whisk attachment with the paddle attachment.
- Set the mixer to medium-low and add the butter, beating until well incorporated.
- Gradually add strawberry puree, lime juice, and tequila; mix to combine.
- Pipe (or spread) frosting onto cooled cupcakes.