This recipe (which I paired with a regular old vanilla buttercream) is super moist and would compliment any kind of frosting.
1 ¾C flour
1C boiling water
¾C cocoa powder
½C + 2 tbs butter, room temperature
¼C sour cream
3 eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line muffin pan with cupcake liners (or grease if not using liners).
- Mix cocoa with boiling water in small bowl, stirring until smooth. Let cool.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Gradually add cocoa, mixing thoroughly.
- In another bowl, whisk together remaining dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, combine milk and sour cream.
- Add the flour mixture and the milk/sour cream mixture to the stand mixer, alternating between the two.
- Scrape down bowl and mix well.
- Fill cupcake liners ⅔ full.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before frosting.