The pairing of the two was perfect, flavorful and tart, sweet and tangy.
8 tbs butter, room temperature
2/3C brown sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
2 tbs vanilla
1C all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4C butter, softened
3C powdered sugar
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tbs lemon juice
1 tbs lemon extract
- For cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare muffin pan with cupcake liners (or grease pan if not using liners).
- In a small skillet over medium-low heat, brown butter by letting it bubble; stirring constantly.
- Be careful to watch butter, remove from heat after achieving an amber color. Don't burn it!
- Combine browned butter, brown sugar, eggs, milk, and vanilla in a large bowl (I used my KitchenAid) and mix on medium speed for 2 minutes until well mixed.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt to butter mixture until just combined.
- Fill each cupcake liner about 1/2 full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool before frosting.
- For buttercream: In a large bowl, cream butter, gradually add sugar, beating well.
- Add remaining ingredients, beat until smooth.
- Pipe (or spread) onto cooled cupcakes.