We found this recipe to incorporate them all!
yield: 6 servings
4 uncooked bratwurst
1 tbs olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 tsp caraway seeds
3 tbs flour
1 12oz bottle of pumpkin ale (I used Terrapin Pumpkinfest)
32oz chicken stock
2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
2 bay leaves
1 tbs worcestershire sauce
⅓ C half and half
1 tsp mustard powder
2C sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
big handful fresh dill, chopped
salt & black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a heavy bottomed soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Brown the bratwurst on all sides.
- Add ½ cup of water to the pan, cover, and steam the sausages for about 15 minutes.
- Remove cover, and remove sausages from the pan; set aside.
- Saute the onion, carrots, and caraway seeds in pot for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the beer, chicken stock, remaining water; whisk to combine the flour and liquid.
- Add in the potatoes and bay leaves.
- Cook for 30 minutes, until the potatoes and carrots are cooked but not mushy.
- Remove the bay leaves and add the worcestershire sauce, half and half, mustard powder, salt, and pepper.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender (or puree part of the soup in a blender) quickly, to puree part of the soup but to still leave it chunky.
- Slice the sausages and add them to the pot.
- Slowly stir in the cheddar, stirring until it has completely melted and the soup is smooth.
- Stir in the fresh dill.