This recipe fit the bill -- easy, delicious, and gross looking!
1 box of frozen puff pastry
1 egg, lightly whisked
Food coloring: red & a little bit of brown
1 can of chocolate frosting
Mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line the cutting board with wax paper.
- Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Unfold the sheets puff party and cut into even pieces (I used Pepperridge Farm and cut along the folds).
- Use the egg to "glue" the pieces together end to end (think long strip of intestine), pressing the pieces together until smooth. (I made 2 long strips because of lack of counter space for one long crazy intestine).
- Using a small rubber spatula, spread chocolate frosting down the middle of each strip. (This is a bit of a balancing act, you don't want too much filling to bust out of the strips but you don't want too little and have skimpy intestines).
- Sprinkle the strips of frosting with mini chocolate chips.
- Gently lift the sides of the puff pastry and seal them together at the top (over the filling) by pinching closed. Make sure that they are sealed as best as possible so you don't have leakage in your intestines when you transfer them to your baking dish seam side down.
- Carefully pick up each tube and transfer them to the greased baking dish.
- Wind the intestines around, curving them around the baking dish to make them look like intestines.
- At the ends, make sure to pinch the puff pastry closed and point them downward to look more realistic.
- In a small bowl, mix 8-10 drops of red food coloring with 2 drops of brown food coloring.
- With a paint brush, paint veins and arteries on the puff pastry.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until lightly browned. A little chocolate might leak out, but then it will just look more realistic ;)