3 C stale bread, cut into small strips/pieces
½ C onion, finely diced
½ C celery, finely diced
½ lb ground pork sausage with sage (remove the casing)
½ tsp dried sage
½ tsp dried rosemary
½ tsp dried thyme
1 apple, cored and diced into small chunks
½ C fresh cranberries
2 tbs melted butter
½ C chicken stock
1 acorn squash
½ tbs butter, room temperature
- for stuffing: In a large skillet over medium heat, add a little bit of olive oil to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the onions, celery, and sausage; continue breaking up the sausage into little crumbles.
- Cook until the sausage is cooked through.
- Stir in spices.
- Add the apples, cranberries, bread, parsley, and butter.
- Drizzle chicken stock over mixture.
- for squash: Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Cut acorn squash in half, scoop out the seeds.
- Add a little olive oil in the middle of each half and use a pastry brush to coat the inside and the edges of each half.
- Place squash halves open side down on a baking sheet; bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Flip the squash over and run a fork through the middle of each half.
- Add ¼ tbs butter to each half and top each half with stuffing -- go ahead, be generous.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, until squash is tender and stuffing is done.