This recipe was more proof that this equation is for real.
for caramel cupcakes
1 ½ C all-purpose flour
¾ tsp baking powder
1 C dark brown sugar
½ C sugar
½ C salt butter, room temperature
2 eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ C whole milk
for salted caramel frosting
½ C salted butter
1 C brown sugar
⅓ C heavy cream
¾ tsp salt
3 C powdered sugar
- for caramel cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment beat butter and sugars together at medium-high speed for 3 minutes.
- Lower speed to medium-low and add the eggs and vanilla; beat until combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients, scraping the bowl as needed.
- On low speed, add in milk until just combined.
- Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
- for salted caramel frosting: Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Once melted, add brown sugar and heavy cream; stir constantly until sugar is dissolved.
- Add salt; allow mixture to bubble for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Pour mixed into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- On low speed, add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time.
- Spread or pipe onto cooled cupcakes.