yield: 24 cupcakes
2 ½ C all-purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 ½ C sugar
12 tbs salted butter, room temperature
2 eggs + 2 egg white, room temperature
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
1 C milk
for vanilla bean buttercream
3 ½ sticks salted butter, room temperature
3 ½ C powdered sugar
3 tbs milk
1 tbs vanilla bean paste
- for cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat sugar and eggs together on medium high speed for 2 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Reduce speed to low and add eggs and egg whites one at a time, scraping the bowl after each addition.
- Add flour in 3 additions, alternating with the milk; scrape down the bowl as needed.
- Add vanilla and baking powder.
- Increase speed to medium-high and beat for ~30 seconds until well combined.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool completely.
- for buttercream: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter for 8 minutes on medium speed until pale and creamy.
- Reduce speed to low and add remaining ingredients slowly.
- Increase speed to medium and beat for 6 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes.