This recipe came off of page 98 and the only thing I really changed was making it one big bread pudding instead of individual ones.
I had never really had or made bread pudding before but figured that one involving chocolate and croissants was the way to go -- and it was as delicious as you think it would be.
8 day-old (aka stale, leave them uncovered overnight) croissants
1 ⅓ C mini semisweet chocolate chips
2 large egg yolks
¾ C sugar
1 ⅓ C half-and-half
2 tbs butter, cold and cut into tiny pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Tear 4 of the croissants into ~1" pieces and arrange in the bottom of a 8"x8" baking dish.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the croissant pieces.
- Tear 4 remaining croissants into ~1" pieces and arrange over the chocolate chips.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, egg yolks, sugar, and half-and-half until well combined.
- Pour over baking dish.
- Dot butter pieces over the top of the baking dish.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until the bread pudding is set.
- Serve warm or let stand at room temperature (but really what beats warm croissants and chocolate?).