While very sweet, these were a hit...and tasted just like cotton candy, complete with the melt in your mouth texture of real cotton candy.
yield: a lot of meringues ( more or less depending on how big you pipe them)
2 egg whites
1/8 tsp Cream of Tartar
1/2C superfine sugar
1 Duncan Hines Frosting Creations Cotton Candy Flavor Packet
- Preheat oven to 170°
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper (or silpat).
- Fit a large piping bag with a star tip.
- Place the egg whites in a mixing bowl and whip them with an electric mixer on medium speed until frothy.
- Stop the mixer and add cream of tartar.
- Start mixer again and continue to beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Increase speed to high and gradually add in sugar and flavor packet.
- Beat egg whites until they are shiny and hold stiff peaks but are not dry or crumbly, about 8 minutes.
- Spoon the meringue into the piping bag and pipe onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake the meringues for 90 minutes turning the cookie sheets 180 degrees halfway through baking.
- When meringues are done, turn off oven and let them stand for several hours or overnight.
- The meringues should be hard and dry to touch and you should be able to easily lift them from parchment.