These cookies are sort of an olive oil shortbread cookie, delicious on their own but particularly good with Nutella.
yield: 7 dozen cookies
8.5 oz extra virgin olive oil
1.7 oz water
2.8oz egg yolks
15.1 oz all-purpose flour
3.5 oz sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp sea salt
- Put egg yolks and water in a large bowl (I used my KitchenAid Stand Mixer).
- Whisk on medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Continuing to whisk, slowly begin to add olive oil drop by drop.
- After a few minutes, you can increase addition of olive oil by pouring in a thin, slow stream.
- After all the oil is incorporated, increase speed to medium high and whisk for 10 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, sea salt, and vanilla to the mixture, whisking until combined.
- Slowly add sugar and flour to the mixture, whisking until well combined.
- Take dough of out of bowl and knead it by hand for a few minutes on a lightly floured surface.
- Make the dough into a ball and wrap it in plastic wrap.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Let dough rest in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll dough into a ~1/4" sheet and cut using the cookie cutter of your choice.
- Put cookies onto a parchment paper (or Silpat) lined baking sheet (they won't spread so you can pack them in).
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let cookies cool completely.