yield: 8 hearty servings
8 tbs olive oil
1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 head of broccoli, chopped
1 zucchini, quartered lengthwise, sliced 1/4-inch-thick crosswise
2 cloves garlic, minced
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 lb ground turkey
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
1 tbs fresh sage, chopped
1 tbs fresh purple basil, chopped
1 pound pasta
- In a Dutch oven or large (5-quart) saucepan with a lid, heat 6 tablespoons oil over medium-high.
- Add eggplant; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer eggplant to a bowl; set aside.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to pan; reduce heat to medium.
- Add onion, broccoli, zucchini, and garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables have softened, 7 to 10 minutes.
Add turkey; cook, stirring and breaking up meat with a spoon, until no longer pink, 5 minutes.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, add tomatoes, sage, basil, and eggplant to turkey-vegetable mixture; season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thick and eggplant is tender, about 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta until al dente, according to package instructions
- Serve pasta topped with sauce.