Saturday, November 3, 2012

Fresh Pumpkin Pie

I have never, ever made anything with an actual pumpkin before. I have always used canned pureed pumpkin.
This year, I made it a point to buy a pumpkin whose only purpose was to be cooked with.
I didn't buy a special kind of pumpkin, I bought an 8 lb pumpkin from the farm.
I used this recipe, the only modification being I used my own crust instead of a pre-made one and it was a huge hit!


ingredients
Unbaked Pie Crust, or a refrigerated crust from the store.
2C freshly prepared pumpkin (see below for instructions on how to prepare pumpkin)
1/4C brown sugar
1/2C white sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves
2 eggs, beaten slightly

how to prepare fresh pumpkin
*I found out the hard way, that it takes about 3.25 cups of raw pumpkin chunks to turn into 1 cup of prepared pumpkin puree. So make sure you have about 6.5 cups of pumpkin chunks!
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Cut pumpkin around the middle  (think like it's wearing a belt).
  3. Clean out the pumpkin gunk and seeds.
  4. Cut pumpkin into smallish chunks.
  5. Cut rind off of pumpkin.
  6. Place pumpkin chunks into a greased 4.5 liter (or larger) dish -- I used a glass Pyrex dish.
  7. Bake for 30 minutes, until pumpkin is tender.
  8. Remove dish from oven, and put pumpkin immediately into a blender or food processor.
  9. Puree pumpkin until smooth.
directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together all ingredients.
  3. Pour into pie shell.
  4. Cover crust with pie crust shield or with pinched aluminum foil, to avoid burning.
  5. Bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees.
  6. Reduce heat to 350 degrees, bake for another 55 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean. 
  7. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment