This year, I made it a point to buy a pumpkin whose only purpose was to be cooked with.
I didn't buy a special kind of pumpkin, I bought an 8 lb pumpkin from the farm.
I used this recipe, the only modification being I used my own crust instead of a pre-made one and it was a huge hit!
Unbaked Pie Crust, or a refrigerated crust from the store.
2C freshly prepared pumpkin (see below for instructions on how to prepare pumpkin)
1/4C brown sugar
1/2C white sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves
2 eggs, beaten slightly
how to prepare fresh pumpkin
*I found out the hard way, that it takes about 3.25 cups of raw pumpkin chunks to turn into 1 cup of prepared pumpkin puree. So make sure you have about 6.5 cups of pumpkin chunks!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut pumpkin around the middle (think like it's wearing a belt).
- Clean out the pumpkin gunk and seeds.
- Cut pumpkin into smallish chunks.
- Cut rind off of pumpkin.
- Place pumpkin chunks into a greased 4.5 liter (or larger) dish -- I used a glass Pyrex dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until pumpkin is tender.
- Remove dish from oven, and put pumpkin immediately into a blender or food processor.
- Puree pumpkin until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all ingredients.
- Pour into pie shell.
- Cover crust with pie crust shield or with pinched aluminum foil, to avoid burning.
- Bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees, bake for another 55 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.