Saturday, November 3, 2012

Pumpkin Soup

As I've said before, I love pumpkin everything.

This year, I am trying my hand at cooking and baking with a real pumpkin --- not just the cans of pureed pumpkin that line my pantry.I am also trying to branch out and give soup a try, I have never been a soup fan but I am coming to learn that homemade soup is far and above the soup that comes in cans.

I found the following recipe in the November 2012 issue of Women's Health Magazine, the article is called "Tastes Better Together: Butternut Squash + Cayenne". I made a few substitutions based on what I had and I also cooked it a little longer to blend the flavors.

It was awesome, made about 4 servings and is pretty healthy for you. I served it with cornbread, which was a great complement to the soup.  I would definitely suggest giving it a go!


ingredients
1/2C chopped white onion
1 tbs butter
3C cubed pumpkin, rinds on
1 Granny Smith apple - cored, peeled, and chopped
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 3/4C chicken stock a la Book of Jimmy
1/2C fresh apple cider

directions
  1. In a large saucepan, saute onions in butter over medium-high heat for 3 minutes.
  2. Add the rest of the ingredients, cover and reduce heat to medium.
  3. Cook for 15 minutes.
  4. Transfer soup to a blender and puree until smooth.
  5. Transfer back to the saucepan and cook on low heat for 15 minutes.
  6. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment