This is my fiance's Aunt Pat's recipe from last year, I made it this year and it turned out great.
4 huge sweet potatoes
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 stick butter, melted
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1C brown sugar
1C walnut pieces
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Roast the whole sweet potatoes and yams on an aluminum foil covered baking sheet at 425 degrees until soft, about 45-60 minutes. Peel and cool until ready to use.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 2qt casserole dish.
- In a medium bowl, stir together yams, sweet potatoes, sugar, eggs, milk, butter, salt, and vanilla until mashed and smooth.
- Put mixture into greased dish.
- To make topping - in a small bowl, mix brown sugar, walnuts, flour, and butter with you (clean!) fingers until crumbly.
- Sprinkle over top of dish.
- Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes until browned on top.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.