This weekend, not wanting to leave the house to avoid hurricane crazed shoppers, I made my own crust.
I used this recipe, modified slightly to accommodate what I had in the cabinets.
This recipe is 1) delicious and 2) makes enough for 2 pies (or 1 pie with crust on the top & bottom).
I used this crust to make both a pumpkin pie and an apple streusel pie.
2.5C all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 tbs sugar
20 tbs (2.5 sticks) cold salted butter, cut into small pieces
1/4C Whipped Cream Vodka
1/4C cold water
- Process 1 1/2C flour, salt, and sugar in food processor until combined.
- Add butter and process until dough starts to clump (about 15 seconds).
- Spread dough evenly around the food processor blade, add remaining flour, and process until dough mixture is evenly distributed around bowl.
- Empty dough into medium bowl.
- Sprinkle vodka and water over mixture.
- With a rubber spatula, use folding motion to mix, pressing down on dough until dough is slightly tacky and sticks together.
- Divide dough into two even balls and flatten each into 4" disk.
- Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes (and up to 2 days).