1/2C (1 stick) butter, room temperature
zest from 1 large lemon
7/8C (3/4C + 2 tbs) sugar
1 egg, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4C flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
2C fresh blueberries
1/4C flour (for coating blueberries)
1 tbs sugar (for sprinkling on top)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter with lemon zest and 7/8 cup of the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Toss the blueberries with 1/4 cup of flour.
- Whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Grease an 8" square baking pan (or something similar) with butter or coat with non-stick spray.
- Spread batter into pan.
- Sprinkle batter with remaining tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.