Friday, June 28, 2013

Roasted Turnip & Candy Beet Galette

I found this recipe on Pinterest after searching around for what to do with the turnips and beets we had gotten from our CSA.
I had never heard of a galette, and Google told me that it was a type of crusty cake. The picture from the website told me it was like a pizza. I figured it would be worth a shot. I accidentally grabbed Phyllo sheets instead of puff pastry dough but decided to go with it and I actually enjoyed the crispness of the Phyllo.
I was actually really impressed with how delicious it was. It was simple and it didn't have the earthy taste that the beet pesto did. It was delicious!
yield:  9 large slices of galette

ingredients
5 candy beets
2 white turnips
2 tbs olive oil
5 sheets of phyllo pastry (14"x18"), thawed overnight
1/2C shredded smoked mozzarella
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp paprika

directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Trim beets and turnips, and lay them on a baking sheet.
  3. Drizzle with 1 tbs olive oil and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp of sea salt.
  4. Roast for 20-30 minutes, until fork tender (my beets were smaller and took 20 minutes while the turnips took 30).
  5. On another baking sheet, lay out phyllo sheets (keeping them stacked on top of one another) folding up slightly around the edges to make a crust.
  6. Spread shredded cheese evenly over the phyllo sheet.
  7. When the beets and turnips have cooled slightly, slice them thinly (it is up to you whether or not you want to take the skin off, I did where it was easy to remove and just left it where it wasn't coming off).
  8. Layer slices of beets and turnips over the cheese. (I alternated turnip/beet in rows but that is up to you).
  9. Drizzle 1 tbs of olive oil over the galette.
  10. Sprinkle 1/4 tsp of sea salt over the galette.
  11. Sprinkle paprika over the galette.
  12. Bake for 15 minutes, until the edges are starting to turn golden brown.
  13. Cut into squares and serve warm or at room temperature.
  14. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment