I have never been a fan of beef, but I have found myself branching out.
This was my first attempt at cooking steak, and not only did it turn out great BUT I actually enjoyed it.
1 lb flank steak
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4C soy sauce
1 tbs lime juice
1 tbs lemon juice
1 tsp black pepper
1 tbs sesame oil
- Pat dry flank steak with paper towels.
- Make very light horizontal slits against the grain across both sides of the meat.
- Transfer steak to a large resealable bag.
- Combine garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sugar, lime and lemon juice, and black pepper in a small bowl.
- Slowly whisk in sesame oil until blended.
- Pour marinade over steak and seal the bag.
- Refrigerate the meat for a minimum of 4 hours, up to 1 day.
- Preheat the broiler. If using a cast iron skillet (what I did), place it in the oven while the oven is preheating.
- While oven is heating, remove steak from the bag and pat dry with paper towels.
- Transfer marinade to a small saucepan.
- Boil marinade until thickened, about 3 minutes. Keep warm.
- If using a cast iron skillet, pull it out from the oven and place the steak on it.
- If using a pan, set the steak on it.
- Broil steak about 8 minutes, turning once until charred and medium-rare. (I did 8 minutes but the steak ended up being closer to medium-well).
- Allow the steak to rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut thin slices along the slits you made earlier. (You should be cutting against the grain at a 45 degree angle to the edge of the steak).
- Serve with cooked marinade.