I prepped the casserole on the night of December 23rd and cooked it on Christmas morning -- it held up just fine, so prepping ahead is a plus!
1 loaf challah bread
8 whole eggs
1/2C heavy whipping cream
2 tbs vanilla
1/2C all-purpose flour
1/2C brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick cold butter, cubed
- Grease a 9x13 pan (I used Pyrex).
- Tear bread into chunks and put into pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together eggs, half-and-half, cream, sugar, vanilla.
- Pour mixture evenly over bread.
- Cover pan and refrigerate over night (or nights).
- In another bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Using your (CLEAN!) hands, crumble the butter into the mixture until it resembles small pebbles.
- Place mixture in a bag and refrigerate until ready to use.
- When you are ready to eat: preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Take out your 9x13 pan and sprinkle the bagged crumb mixture over the top of the bread.
- Bake for 1 hour, or less if you like soggier french toast.
- Serve with butter or syrup or both!